Following the latest easing of lockdown measures, England Athletics have issued new guidance to clubs regarding training. The club is now able to offer training sessions at a ratio of 5 runners to each coach, providing that social distancing can be maintained.
The committee have put a lot of thought into whether we can achieve this, and indeed whether we should. We appreciate that across the club there will be mixed feelings about this, some will welcome it while others will feel it’s too soon. We decided in the end that so long as nobody felt pressured, especially the coaches, that we should offer what we can and let you decide whether you want to come.
To comply with the new guidelines from EA, and to accommodate as many runners as possible we have come up with the following plan.
- Training sessions will initially be offered on Tuesdays only, but if demand exceeds capacity, we will try to repeat the same sessions on Thursdays.
- We are going to use Puddlebrook playing fields as our main base, with some sessions also taking place on Homefield Rd (which is adjacent).
- Coaches are permitted to coach two consecutive sessions i.e., 5 runners in Session A and a different 5 runners in Session B. This is a good way of increasing the number of runners we can cater for, but it would be unfair to ask our coaches to coach for 2hrs. Therefore, we are shortening the length of the session to 30mins and asking you to do your own warm up and cool down (on your own, not with others!).
- We will initially be offering sessions at 6.30pm and 7.15pm every Tuesday. In the future we may also look at offering daytime sessions if the demand is there.
- To ensure that we only have 5 people turn up for each session, we will be asking you to book your place on a session. There will be an online form where you can enter your name and email address, to go onto the list. Based on the number of coaches available each week, we may not be able to accommodate everyone. If we can accommodate you, we will email you with details of your session, including the time, venue and coach.
- If we are unable to accommodate you on the week you request, we will place you at the top of the list for the next week.
- To book onto a session, you MUST be a paid-up member. Please email us if you are unsure whether you are a paid-up member.
- There will be additional measures in place to ensure the safety of everyone. These will be published on the website and included in your email confirmation. Failure to comply with these rules may mean that you are asked to leave the session and may not be able to book onto future sessions.
Click here to request a place on Tuesday 9th June